R. Kelly will be the subject of some upcoming film projects that aim to explore the sexual misconduct allegations that have dogged him for years.
Kitti Jones, who has accused the South Side native of physically and emotionally abusing her when they were in a relationship years ago, told Megyn Kelly Tuesday on her NBC show that her recently published tell-all “I Was Somebody Before This…” will be turned into a movie.
“My book rights were sold,” Jones said. “I go into a lot of detail in the book.”
The Lifetime network announced Monday it has greenlit a documentary series and a feature-length movie that promises to “lift the veil on the secretive inner world of R. Kelly, bringing to light the shocking allegations of abuse and twisted mind games.” A Lifetime spokeswoman said filming of the documentary has already started in Chicago.
The news comes days after the singer’s May 5 show at UIC Pavilion was canceled amid protests. Members of the Women of Color committee within Time’s Up — an outgrowth of the #MeToo movement to end sexual harassment — joined the #MuteRKelly campaign calling on corporations and venues to cut ties with the 51-year-old musician.
R. Kelly, who was born Robert Kelly, has denied allegations of wrongdoing for years. A Cook County jury declared him not guilty of child pornography charges after a trial in 2008. His management team recently said he is the “target of a greedy, conscious and malicious conspiracy to demean him, his family and the women with whom he spends his time.”
An unflattering BBC Three documentary, “R. Kelly: Sex, Girls and Videotapes,” premiered in March and aired in the U.S. Meanwhile, the singer continues to be spotted around Chicago. He visited a North Side bar three nights in a row last month and performed from his table. TMZ posted video Tuesday of R. Kelly it said was taken at a local mall late last month.